A day in the life

As I sit here at 9:21pm on a Sunday night I think back and reflect what I’ve done today and this week. My mom has been in town since Tuesday. She got to meet her first grand baby and couldn’t be more excited. We ordered Korean food and talked about how quickly the week has gone by so I thought it would be fun to write about what a typical day is like. It’s interesting though, when I think about “a day” I think about the time I wake up until the time I go to sleep but **spoiler alert** if I wake up every 2-3 hours when am I ever actually “waking up”?!?! So I guess we’ll start with midnight because that is, after all the beginning of a day…

12:00AM- I put Braxton back down after is 11:00pm-ish feeding

3:00AM- I have an alarm set, but Brax usually wakes up before my alarm. I slowly get out of bed, change him, feed him.

3:45AM- He goes back to sleep

7:00AM- Again, alarm set but he may wake up before this. Change him, feed him..(there’s a pattern)

10:00AM- Braxton wakes up, I change him, feed him, he goes back to sleep

11:00AM- He wakes back up and remembers he’s still hungry. Falls asleep again.

1:30PM- Wakes up. Change him, feed him..this is about the point in my day where I start to get slightly bored of the repetitiveness. But I’m able to clean/ nap/ shower while he’s sleeping so I can’t complain too much. Goes back to sleep.

4:30-7:00PM- Cluster feeding. This means that every 30-45 minutes Braxton wants milk. He eats, sleeps, poops, pees, eats, sleeps, etc. I change him when he needs it and he eats and eats until he falls asleep.

8:00PM- He finally decides he has had enough milk and passes out until around 11:00PM

And here we are back to where we started.

Sound exhausting? It is.

I am so thankful for my ability to fall asleep quickly because otherwise I would literally get no sleep. I am also thankful for little remedies gas drops that help his stomach settle when he’s gassy.

Overall the last (almost three weeks) haven’t been terrible. All of the days are kind of running into one and weeks are flying by. Just today I looked down at my son and got a little emotional because he’s already getting so big. I can’t handle it! The emotional rush I had after delivery was crazy. I was all over the place, crying at the drop of the hat but thankfully I feel a little more stable now.

We have been trying to get out as much as possible because staying in this apartment all day every gets quite old. We met someone today who told us, like many other people have that it gets easier. She also told us that “the days feel like months and the weeks feel like days” and I thought that was so spot on. That is exactly what it feels like.

As we go into our 3rd week as parents, I want to soak in this time because I know I will look back in a year and wonder “where did the time go?”

But for now, I’ll just get used to my two hour naps 🙂

Here’s a few photos of the last few weeks:



kate taylor


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s